Our policy is implemented by all employees. Our commitment involves:
- Reducing waste levels and actively recycling waste materials for re use
- Carefully monitoring scrap materials in accordance with quality procedures
- Making sure energy use is monitored through a programme of improvement to ensure maximum efficiency
- Considering the locality in which the materials are sourced in relation to their end use location and ensuring we have successfully encompassed BREEAM schemes on major projects
- Monitoring fuel use and maintaining plant to enable fuel efficiency
- Training employees and raising awareness with procedures and responsibilities
- Ensuring activities are carried out with minimal impact on local communities and not creating a nuisance to our neighbours
- Carefully vetting our suppliers to ensure their commitment and standards are equal to ours
- Continually strive to improve and review objective and targets annually
- Ensure our policy meets the current legislation and industry best practices
“BREEAM is the world’s foremost environmental assessment method and ratings system using recognised measures of the building’s environmental performance and represents a broad range of categories from energy to ecology”
Environmental policy statement
R&D Construction Ltd is committed to providing unparalleled standards and quality of service to all of its customers. We believe that this can and must be done in a way, which protects and enhances the environment. It is a fundamental part of our business policy that we should aim to avoid losses and maximise benefits. It follows that we must minimise adverse environmental effects arising from our business activities and promote a positive attitude to the conservation and enhancement of all aspects of our environment. Environmental factors will be taken into consideration in our business planning and decision making.
Conservation & sustainability
Within our business activities we will endeavour to set an example of responsible Environmental Management and conservation, including active re-cycling of materials wherever practical. The company will comply with all the relevant legislation and adhere to the principles of the prevention of pollution during design and operational performance. Arrangements to achieve these targets include the following:-
- Awareness and use of appropriate technology for the conservation of energy.
- The use of materials from sustainable and responsibly managed sources, which do not necessarily pollute or deplete the worlds natural resources.
- A purchasing procedure taking into account environmental impacts.
- Minimise the use of non-sustainable natural resources.
- Minimise waste through an effective waste management system.
Environmental standards & management
We are establishing an environmental Management system complying with the international standard ISO 14001. This includes systems to assess the environmental impact of our operations and the provisions of appropriate levels of training and information to support our environmental aims and objectives. We will encourage each and every employee within the company to follow our example, to take a personal responsibility for environmental protection and enhancement within their own sphere of responsibility to standards that are commensurate with the high standards set by the company. We will work with our subcontractors and suppliers to improve their environmental performance. We require our directors and senior managers to promote a culture of environmental management improvement in all parts of the business.
The application of this policy and the effectiveness of the environment management system will be reviewed by the senior group management at least once in each calendar year or on significant change in the company’s operations. The review may include consultation with representatives of our stakeholders. Copies of this statement of policy will be made available to all employees and to all other interested parties.